Babies are dressed in different soft and fancy fabrics from the day they are born. While many of baby’s fabrics look extremely soft and cute, the side effects they pose are different from their actual appearance. Although they look good and comfortable, the harmful effects of these synthetic fabrics range from rashes and unpleasant odors to serious skin conditions.
Let’s delve deeper into this topic today and understand why synthetic clothing is a big NO for babies.
Synthetic fabrics and their effects
Synthetic fabrics are long-lasting, shrink-resistant and easy to maintain. But they also have a detrimental effect on your babies and your health. Synthetic fabrics such as nylon, rayon, acrylic and polyester are made and treated with various harmful chemicals.
How harmful is it?
Different chemicals such as formaldehyde, chemical dyes, benzene, heavy metals, etc. used in the manufacture of synthetic fabrics. Let’s look at the side effects of these chemicals on our health.
- Wrinkle-free clothing is made of thermoplastics and formaldehyde, which can cause difficulty breathing. The perfluorochemicals used in these wrinkle-free fabrics can also damage the liver, kidneys and reproductive organs.
- Rayon, a semi-synthetic fiber, is made from wood pulp treated with baking soda and sulfuric acid which are harmful to the skin and can cause allergies.
- Polyester is often treated with formaldehyde which can cause allergies and skin irritation. Formaldehyde which is a type 3 carcinogen (carcinogen) can also cause asthma. Most of the polyesters are also treated with an antimony that is also carcinogenic and causes damage to the lungs, liver, heart and skin.
- In addition to these chemicals, there are many heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, mercury and antimony used in dyes and bleaches that can affect the development of babies and children. In severe use, it can also cause diseases such as asthma and cancer.
- Synthetic clothing can also sometimes cause skin conditions such as eczema.
I’m sure no parent would want to give babies this harmful effect in the form of synthetic fabrics.
What is the alternative?
Against the harmful effects of synthetic fabrics, natural fabrics are safe and do not harm your babies and children. If you think natural fabrics are expensive, I do not agree. There are many affordable options if you want to buy natural fabrics for your kids and babies. Here is a suggestion – Nino Bambino. Once you explore the online store, you will realize that expensive natural fabric is just a false belief.
Nowadays, when you can not rely on every organic store in the market, you can be sure of GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standards) certified cotton products when shopping with Nino Bambino. Explore more about the store here.
Why invite the dangers of synthetic clothing when nature is very close to us and wants to give us a comfortable hug in the form of organic clothing? I say a big NO to synthetic clothes for my child, what about you? Do not forget to share your thoughts on synthetic and organic clothes for children.